Follow the telling of Georgia's spica casting at Pink Spica Cast.

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Teachers Pet at 28 weeks

Today marks 28 weeks! Viable baby stage, praise the Lord. I've been waiting for this achievement. As of now Baby can use its own lungs and breath out side of the womb, with medical intervention.

I find it so amazing that when my mother was having children 28 weeks was the the absolute earliest a baby could be born and have any chance of survival. And now, 30 years later 50% of babies born at 24 weeks survive and 85% of babies born at 27 weeks survive. The power of modern medicine!

At my last appt my Dr told me that "everything is going perfectly". I was so proud. That day I went in early to have a few standard tests run and had been very nervous. There haven't been any major complication and I knew that most likely I would pass these test, though I was very nervous and wanted to do really well in a Teachers Pet sort of way. A feeling I haven't had in years! So when my very experienced Dr said the word "perfect" I was thrilled. I felt so very proud and like I had accomplished something very big.

I told my Dad this story at lunch last week. His response, through laughing, was something like "Oh yeah, because you have so much control over it all"

Good point.

Still, I am already very proud of me and my baby.

This Mom blindness and feelings of "I have the best baby on the block" sure come early.

And its fun!

Cheers to 28 weeks Baby!!

1 comment:

StevieZ and The Funkybunch™ said...

As the say in my world: "HUZZAH!" (for those of you that don't know that is the manly, non-Frenchie way of saying Hooray)