Follow the telling of Georgia's spica casting at Pink Spica Cast.

Monday, May 12, 2008

Day 2- Papeete


Papaeete is the capital of Tahiti and where we were determined to do more than sit on the beach and tan. So after a breakfast of fried eggs, bread and strange fruits we laid out and tanned. HA!


By lunchtime we were ready for adventure so we headed out, sweating all the way. Its been overcast and oh so humid so far. We ran to La Truck, which is their version of the city bus. Its a pick up cab with two long benches in the back boxed in with ply wood to keep it safe. :) It is red and cost 250 french Polynesian franks.


It was a 15 minute ride to the Marche and the center of downtown. In true America style, we found a big flashy pizza joint for lunch where we ate pizza and sampled the great local beer, Hanano. Over to our left was a group of loud and laughing Australians ( Daren says they were British and that will forever be up to debate). On stop at the currency exchange machine, a machine that is a lot like an ATM. You put in your money and out comes theirs. Then it was an ice cream cone and to the Marche.


The Marche is a big open air market where everything from fruit and fish to woven baskets and hats are sold. Daren's comment about the place was " I think I just found out where a lot of my Christmas presents came from."


Back to the hotel on La Truck and a few more hours at the infinity pool then to dinner at the hotels over water restaurant. I wore my yellow Jimmy Choo's that Daren gave me as part of my wedding present.

10 comments:

Christy said...

...pray for me....i'm experiencing severe envy....the sinful kind...;o)

Grandma Beth said...

The yellow shoes or the beach?

Julie D. said...

oh my gosh, that pool is seriously killin me. i could use some prayer too. ;)

SarahDB said...

I hate to tell you this but it gets better...so much better. I'll be praying :)

StevieZ and The Funkybunch™ said...

Ha! As far as the Australian/British debate let us all just end this right here...the history geek has arrived...technically you are both right...you see much like America was in the beginning a form of a British colony, Australia was a British Prison State, a colony where they sent all the worst of the British criminals and they still have strong ties til this day to Britain...so you both are right. Back to the honeymoon...dang well done, I'm jealous too!!

Julie D. said...

christy, i don't know what you are waiting for...get those reservations booked for wherever your heart desires...no kid baking in the oven, older kids, good job. Just do it!! I told beth and my mom that they need to put it on the calendar for a year after the baby is born...ryan and I are taking off...not sure we will come back! ;)

Christy said...

...would julie...the older they get, the more expensive they get!:o) AND the more they REALLy need you around during their time they aren't in school....it'll happen....:)

Christy said...

...not to mention we don't need to go further into debt (mortgage, car payments, college loans, surgeries) for a freakin' trip that will only incur more financial stress...all the relaxing...would be STIfled by the bottom line!!!

CulyQFun said...

Wow!! Is all I can say. I am jealous too. That pool looks amazing and I can't wait to see more pictures.
Those are some killer shoes. The question is they were "part of your wedding present" - what was the rest???

Julie D. said...

oh, i totally understand. we've got all of the above. thats why we are probably going to do one of those all inclusives...takes the financial pressure off...and you know exactly what you are getting into before you go. we figure there is really no perfect time...and a little vacation fund is definitely making its way into our budget! ;)