Follow the telling of Georgia's spica casting at Pink Spica Cast.

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

My Bridesman

This is the first of 10 individual posts about my wedding attendants. ( Yes that's 10. We each have 10 attendants, 2 flower girls, and 8 ring bearers! Our head table will seat 44. HA! )

Stephan is the one and only Bridesman in my wedding. At first I called him a Groomsmaid but he asked for something a little more masculine since everyone was going to ask if he has to wear a dress anyway. :) And NO he won't be in a dress.

Stephan is my most loyal friend. We have been friends for a very long time. The story goes that he decided to befriend me because he had a crush on my best friend and wanted to get to know her better. Well that never happened but he and I have ended up as life long friends.

Stephan has been there for my entire family time after time after time. He has dog sat, moved furniture, listened to me, talked to me, landscaped, house watched, supported my family...the list can go on and on. When I was living in LA I decided to move back up to the NW and needed to do it within two weeks. It was Stephan who got into my parents pick-up truck and drove from their home down to mine in Sherman Oaks, CA. I was still working and tying up all sorts of loose ends and Stephan did all of the cleaning in my apartment and got me back my entire deposit! ( Which was a near miracle with the pet I had at that time). And it was Stephan who helped me load up my stuff after my shift in the evening and drove straight through from southern California to my parents house in Washington. Straight through! We made one stop at Dutch Brothers in northern California and were still wired when we got to my parents house around 9:00 the next morning. Neither of us ended up falling asleep that day until 2:00 in the afternoon.
Check out my sister in law, Julie's blog, for another example of Stephan's loyalty to this family.

Daren and Stephan get along great. Stephan has three sisters so he learned to speak and understand girl at a very early age. Sometimes, when Daren and Stephan and I are together I will say something and without even saying a word, Daren will turn at look at Stephan for "girl speak" clarification. One time Daren and I were have a discussion and were completely misunderstanding each other and it was suggested that we call Stephan and put him on speaker phone so that he could translate "boy speak" and "girl speak"!!

Stephan is positive when I need a friend to be happy for me, sad when I need to cry with someone, tells me how it is when I need to be put in my place, agrees with me that 'it must be the dyer' when my jeans get too tight, and likes me just for being me.

Stephan is a true friend of a lifetime and I am thankful and honored to have him stand up with me as I get married.

6 comments:

Julie D. said...

that was a great post. We all really do appreciate you, stephan. See you at the front!

Grandma Beth said...

You forgot to mention that he happened to be in Tacoma when your cousin Brenda got married so got roped into helping us decorate for a wedding of our relatives he had never met!!!
How many times has he helped one of us move? set up and take down my Christmas tree etc. Thanks Stephan

StevieZ and The Funkybunch™ said...

I must say that I am humbled and honored to be a friend not only to you Sarah, but the entire family. And I love that we have these stories to share, it's been what 14 years now? Well, I say how about a lifetime more to share and I for one am looking forward to having the good Doctor around to join in on the fun! I truly am honored and I do love you all!

Karen Spears Zacharias said...

Stephan's mama says that the loyalty goes both ways. No one has loved our boy more than the Delamarter family. It is my great grief that I am going to miss your wedding, Sarah. I'm of half a mind to tell those veterans in North Dakota to find someone else to speak at their annual gathering. The thing I hate most about scheduling speaking events is they almost always conflict with life.

Beth, I can never thank you and Harold enough for all the ways you've blessed our Stephan. And Sarah, I hope when Stephan marries you'll be his Groomsgirl.

Lacey Lichi said...

I'll second, third, fourth or whatever number all that is said about Stephan. He is as genuine as they come. Man, I miss the west coast and the wonderful people there!

StevieZ and The Funkybunch™ said...

After two months (looking more like a lifetime everyday) I will agree with Lacey...I too miss the West Coast! I can't wait to come back for the wedding of the century for sure!!