Follow the telling of Georgia's spica casting at Pink Spica Cast.

Friday, October 24, 2008

Waiting

Yesterday I had an epiphany.

When God instructs us to "wait on the Lord" he really means just wait.

I have always heard preachers toss in the phrase "wait upon the Lord" or I've sung it in hymns at various services. But it wasn't until I was a 29 year old non-working non-children having wife of six months I finally realized what He was saying.

This last month has been a month of emotional change for me. I am ready to make some changes and move forward in my life and the question has been "In what direction Lord?" So I have been fervently praying and trying to seek God's guidance for this next stage in my life and trying to be all full of patience, self control, goodness...yada yada yada. And truth be told I'm sick of it! I am ready for something, anything to happen.

Yesterday I spent some time literally on my knees with tears in my eyes asking God what I should be doing with myself these days and even offering up the spirit filled whine of "God I'm bored here. What in the world is going on? When can I expect to hear from you about which of these steps to take?"

To which God replied "Wait upon the Lord, Sarah. I want you to wait."

My eyes shot open and I said aloud to my two dogs "Oh that's what that means."

Then I realized what had happened. I have spent several months asking God to make me patient....and now he's letting me have my way and letting me learn to be patient.

So now, I wait.

"God's timing may seem slow, but he is never late."

7 comments:

The Oregon Thorndikes said...

Isn's amazing that His principals can be so simple, yet we tend to make them so complex! I have learned a very similar lesson recently...basically he's just waiting for us to ask him so he can help, it's the waiting....like you said that's so hard!

CulyQFun said...

Patience is hard - better to learn it now cause you will need it when you have those children!!
I will be praying that this "wait time" isn't long.

Julie D. said...

God's got great things in store for you, sarah. Don't take this the wrong way, but I see big growth in you as of late. sit tight, my friend/sister...good stuff around the bend! thanks for coming today. it meant a lot to be together as a family.

RobbinGaye said...

"Look straight ahead, and fix your eyes on what lies before you. Mark out a straight path for your feet; stay on the sage path. Don't get sidetracked; keep your feet from following evil..."
Proverbs 4vs 25-27 NLT

I love you Sarah Delemarter Benson......

Lacey Lichi said...

Ohhh, we are in the "learning to be patient" phase as well. I feel like it is times like these that really stretch us to places we didn't know we could go- God's promises just in time and in different ways than imagined. It is always after phases like this that I smack my forehead and go "Now I see Lord. You were right, in your time." Hang in there. I love you lady.

shelly said...

Hi Sarah! I found your blog off Alison's blog. It's fun to catch up with everyone. First off, the waiting thing--not fun. But I like the comment about God waiting for us to ask so He can help. I find comfort in knowing that there are reasons for our struggles. Thank you for sharing your experience so others, like me, know we're not alone.

Okay, I have to comment on your wedding-so beautiful! It looks like it should be in a magazine. Maybe it is. Anyway, we were just in Portland on Sunday to visit Tyler and his family. It's so beautiful there, especially with the leaves changing right now. So, lucky you to live there. And lucky you to have such cute feet. Given your husband's profession, cute feet must have been a requirement in his woman =) Oh yeah, the groom's cake was disgusting, but hilarious. All right, take care!

Anonymous said...

Exactly...all in God's time. :) Sometimes what we want isn't what He knows is best for us at all or at least at that time. Things come when we are really and truly ready for them.